Governing Board Policies
Section G: Personnel
Policy Title: Staff Ethics
Policy Code: GBEA
In MS Word | In Adobe
All employees of the District are expected to maintain high standards in their school relationships. These standards must be idealistic and at the same time practical, so that they can apply reasonably to all staff members. The employees acknowledge that the schools belong to the public they serve for the purpose of providing educational opportunities to all. However, every employee assumes responsibility for providing leadership in the school and community. This responsibility requires the employee to maintain standards of exemplary conduct. It must be recognized that the employee's actions will be viewed and appraised by the community, associates, and students. To these ends, the Board adopts the following statements of standards.
The school employee:
- Supports the principle of due process and protects the civil and human rights of all individuals.
- Maintains just, courteous, and proper relationships with students, parents, staff members and others.
- Strives for the maintenance of efficiency and knowledge of developments in the employee's field of work.
- Makes the well-being of students the fundamental value of all decision-making and actions.
- Implements the Governing Board's policies and administrative rules and regulations.
- Fulfills job responsibilities with honesty and integrity.
- Will not falsify, misuse, sell, transfer or access for personal use, records or data maintained by the school district.
- Never accepts gratuities or gifts that influence judgment in the exercise of professional duties.
- Avoids using position for personal gain through political, social, religious, economic, or other influence.
- Abides by copyright restrictions, security, or administration procedures for a test or assessment.
- Honors all contracts until fulfillment or release.
- Keeps information deemed confidential in nature secure unless disclosure serves District purposes or when required by law.
- Pursues appropriate measures to correct any laws, policies, or regulations that are not consistent with sound educational goals.
- Directs any criticism of other staff members or of any department of the school system toward improving the District. Such constructive criticism is to be made directly to the appropriate administrator who has the responsibility for improving the situation.
- Obeys local, state, and national laws and does not knowingly join or support organizations that advocate, directly or indirectly, the overthrow of the government.
- Refrains from using school contacts and privileges to promote partisan politics, sectarian religious views, or personal gain of any kind
- Maintains the standards and seeks to improve the effectiveness of the profession through research and continuing professional development.
- Stresses the proper use and protection of all school properties, equipment, and materials.
In the performance of duties, employees shall keep in confidence such information as they may secure unless disclosure serves District purposes or is required by law.
Adopted: October 5, 2004
Revision: October 25, 2011
LEGAL REF.: A.A.C. R7-2-205