District Accomplishments 2011-2012
Here's a look back at a few of the significant goals that TUSD reached in 2011-2012:
- Implemented goals focused on student achievement to increase the number of students meeting or exceeding AIMS requirements and to improve school labels.
- Improved achievement at the district's two turnaround high schools as is evidenced in AIMS math test scores – Palo Verde showed a 22 percent improvement and Rincon showed an 11.3 percent improvement in passing grades.
- Adopted a new rigorous mathematics and English language arts curriculum that is based on Arizona Common Core State Standards.
- Raised the quality of instruction by training 4,000 teachers in Essential Elements of Instruction (EEI) to establish standard expectations and outcomes.
- Launched full day kindergarten at every elementary school throughout the district.
- Implemented an E-Rate federal funding plan – sought and received more than $10 million in funding; the first time the district has received E-Rate monies in a decade.
- Launched a technology initiative to bring the district up to 21st Century telecommunications standards by replacing all wide-area and local-area networks, replacing more than 100 mission-critical servers, upgrading phone and data systems, replacing 7,300 aging school computers, and adding campus-wide wireless networks to every school site.
- Worked with the U.S. 9th Circuit Court in creating a unitary plan to address the requirements of the desegregation order.
- Developed a desegregation budget plan to review, analyze and report on expenditures.
- Launched a customer service plan to provide a high standard of service to the community.
- Created business practices that will reduce systemic obstacles and improve efficiency and effectiveness of operational procedures.
- Established a transportation efficiency and accountability management system to ensure all eligible and requesting students are scheduled and routed one week prior to the start of school.
- Directed resources from closed schools to support quality across all remaining schools and departments.
- Developed community partnerships with local businesses to support student success.