Guidance, Counseling &
1010 E. Tenth St.
Tucson, AZ 85711
Guidance, Counseling & Student Prevention Programs
TUSD Professional School Counselors: Providing ALL students the necessary skills to be successful academically, socially, emotionally and in their future careers.
Comprehensive Competency Based Guidance Program
The TUSD Comprehensive Competency Based Guidance Program is a proactive, prevention program where counselors are responsible for students acquiring the guidance standards. Counselors in TUSD implement the American School Counselor Association National Model for school counseling programs.
What are the TUSD School Counseling Program Standards?
Academic Domain states that students will:
- Acquire attitudes, knowledge and skills that contribute to effective learning in school and across the life span.
- Complete school with the academic preparation essential to choose from a wide range of substantial post-secondary options, including college.
- Understand the relationship of academics to the world of work and to life at home and in the community.
Career Domain states that students will:
- Acquire the skills to investigate the world of work in relation to knowledge of self and to make informed career decisions.
- Employ strategies to achieve future career goals with success and satisfaction.
- Understand the relationships between personal qualities, education, training and the world of work.
Personal/Social Domain states that students will:
- Acquire the knowledge, attitudes and interpersonal skills to help them understand and respect self and others.
- Make decisions, set goals, and take necessary action to achieve goals.
- Understand safety and survival skills.
What do School Counselors in TUSD do?
What are the duties and responsibilities of TUSD School Counselors?
Counselors spend their time in these areas:
- Guidance Curriculum – teaching the guidance curriculum/standards in classrooms or with planned small groups. Lessons are proactive, prevention based and data driven.
- Individual Planning with Students – working with small groups or individual students concerning educational plans, appraisals, and advisement
- Responsive Services – responding to crisis situations, individual problems, groups of students with an immediate needs, etc.
- System Support – program planning, professional development, community relations, consultations with teachers and others concerning the program, data analysis, program evaluation and student results, etc.
TUSD School Counseling Department
- Provide on going professional development for TUSD school counselors
- Organize, train and deploy the TUSD counselor crisis response teams
- Write, coordinate and implement US Dept. of Education School Counseling Program grants
- Develop school counseling curriculum
- Disseminate information to all TUSD school counselors
- Implement/revise the TUSD School Counseling Program
- Coordinate special events and projects (Tucson College Night, Counselor/Administration Celebration Event, etc.)
- Work with universities and colleges – place all graduate students from school counseling programs, program coordination, etc.